Support Worker - Whitfield
Would you like to be part of a small and highly specialised service which is committed to supporting me with every aspect of my life?
Would you like to work with me and enable me to live as independently as possible in my local community?
Would you like to be well trained, well supported and well paid and know that you are making a positive difference every time you go to work?
Hi, I am looking for people to support me in my new home in the local community in Whitfield, Dover. I am a man who experiences autism, epilepsy and sometimes I may display behaviour which can be described as challenging. I enjoy going out and about every day, but I can get anxious when I don't know what is happening, something annoys me or if I don't understand what is going on. I am lots of fun to be with and want people to work with me who care about me and are dedicated to supporting me to do every day things like eating healthily, keeping fit and learning new skills. I have my own ways of doing things, which the rest of my team will help you to learn, and if you're the right person, we'll get on great!
About the role
- I love to go to my favourite parks and for long walks in the countryside, and going out for cake! Be mature minded and be able to forward plan, helping me develop my skills.
- I love a foot massage as it relaxes me and keeps me calm.
- I cannot speak but I can tell you what I want to do by using my picture communication system. You need to learn my language, and we can then have some fun.
- I must have a predictable, structured and consistent routine.
This is a 24 hour service, therefore flexibility is essential. You will be working a range of shifts from 7:30am to 3:00pm and 2:30 pm to 10:00pm, waking nights (9:45pm - 7:45am), some weekends.
We can also consider applicants looking for nights only.
What will I be doing?
This is a hands-on job in which no two days are the same. Your duties will include:
- Promoting the independence of people we support
- Supporting a full range of daily activities including cleaning and cooking, days out or going away on holiday
- Arranging activities in the home and in the local community
- Developing residents' life skills and personal interests
- Helping residents stay safe and healthy
- Assisting with personal care needs
- Manual handling
- Supporting people with medication
- Ensuring record keeping is maintained to the required standard at all times and contributing to service monitoring requirements
The Ideal Candidate
You must be:
- Fit and active as I love to go out walking, come rain or shine!
- Be mature minded and be able to forward plan, helping me develop my skills.
- Patient and understanding and do things the way I want them to be done.
- Be able to work strategically to reduce my anxieties and improve my quality of life.
- Be able to stick to the rules that will keep me and you safe.
You must have:
- This will be as part of an established team who can make a positive difference to my life, so you must work well together as a team but be confident to work independently too - as a member of my team you will be given full training and induction from my Team Leader and you first few shifts will be alongside her so you can get to know me and I can get to know you!
- The right attitude!
- A good attendance record.
- The ability to work in partnership with my friends and family
- Following new legislation affecting all CQC registered care homes, all offers will be made subject to candidates providing satisfactory evidence of COVID-19 vaccination status (or relevant exemption). Details of what will amount to satisfactory evidence can be provided upon request.
Why Turning Point?
As a leading health and social care provider with more than 300 locations across England, we take real pride in the services we offer.
Across the varied regions, sectors and settings we operate within, our organisation is held together by a shared vision – and our people are connected by the same values. These include belief in potential, confidence in communication, embracing positive change and always treating each other as individuals.
We run all of our services on a not-for-profit basis; instead, we invest every penny back into our services and people. We never stop believing in change for the better, and we work constantly to improve the lives of the people we support.
Our people bring our vision to life. So, if you are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to support others to fulfilling their potential, here at Turning Point, we don't just offer you a job – we offer you a career.
What benefits will I receive?
Of course, we know it's not about the money. But that doesn't mean we don't reward our people for their invaluable work with a benefits package that includes:
- Comprehensive Learning and Development opportunities - we are Investors in People Silver accredited
- 28 days holiday, increasing with each year of service until 30 days. Plus the option to purchase additional holidays
- Flexible benefit options including, bike to work schemes and season ticket loans
- Competitive Pension and Life Assurance scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme and access to online Health and Wellbeing support
- Flexible working patterns to support work/life balance
- Access to a wide range of discounts including Cinema, Groceries and Gym.