Support Worker - Wakefield Inspiring Recovery
At Turning Point, we support people across the UK with substance misuse problems. As a Support Worker, you’ll make a real difference to their lives as you provide support and advice to help each and every one of our service users achieve their potential. Passionate about people, you’ll enjoy the scope and support to enhance your own life too, as you make this role your own as part of a hard-working and friendly team.
As one of our Support Workers, you’ll be 100% committed to making sure that people with substance misuse problems have the best start at the very outset of their journey to independent living. So, in this hands-on role, you’ll support people to perform a wide range of day-to-day activities through one-to-one key work, NEX / harm reduction advice/interventions and working with treatment providers and other partners to support involvement in the local community.
The Ideal Candidate
You’ll need a good knowledge of issues related to substance misuse, as well as a genuine passion for the field. Although previous relevant experience, on either a voluntary basis or as a paid employee is preferable, most important is that you’re flexible, patient and able to view situations from a service user’s perspective. As you’d expect, good moral values will be key. Situations can sometimes be difficult and challenging, so you’ll need to be non-judgemental, with a sensitive approach and a good understanding of how to meet complex needs related to substance misuse.
At a practical level, you’ll need good IT and communication skills. On top of our regular 9-5 service hours, you must also be prepared to work one late evening and Saturday mornings on a rota basis.
Running services on a not-for-profit basis, we invest every penny back into our care – and our people. So, if you’re ambitious and focused on helping people with substance misuse issues, progress a Support Worker role with real value.
Why Turning Point?
As a leading health and social care provider with more than 300 locations across England, we take real pride in the services we offer.
We run all of our services on a not-for-profit basis; instead, we invest every penny back into our services and people. We never stop believing in change for the better, and we work constantly to improve the lives of the people we support.
What Benefits Will I Receive?
We know reward looks different to each person and so whether its ways to make your money go further, a culture supporting recognition and celebration, or opportunities to boost your career – we want to support you in every way we can with our total reward package that includes:
- Comprehensive learning and development opportunities so we can invest in your future – we’re proud to have a silver accreditation from Investors in People. Choose from our range of courses to gain recognised qualifications
- 28 days’ paid holiday a year, increasing with each year of service up to 30 days. Plus the option to buy or sell additional holidays and spread the cost
- An exclusive discounts hub for TP colleagues, to help make your money go further – including high street shopping, pubs and restaurants, mobile phones, gym memberships, and much more. You’ll also have access to the Blue Light Card, for even more discounts and savings!
- Flexible working solutions to support your work-life balance
- Life Assurance of up to 3x annual salary and a competitive Pension Scheme to support your savings and security
- Access to our Rightsteps Therapy service – free, confidential telephone based counselling sessions, access to an online wellbeing platform, and a Financial Education hub to support your total wellbeing
- A 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme including a Digital GP, legal advice and more – all free to you and your immediate family
- Recognition awards to recognise colleagues’ inspirational work and dedication, as well as Long Service bonuses to celebrate your commitment to us
- Flexible benefit options including a Cycle to Work scheme and interest-free Season Ticket Loans
- A £300 bonus if you successfully refer a friend as a new colleague through our Refer a Friend scheme, as a thanks from us!
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we receive sufficient applicants before the advertised closed date.
“Legislation recently introduced, which will come into force on 1 April 2022 means that for our services that conduct “Regulated Activity” as defined by the CQC, require us to ensure that any applicant is able to evidence at least one COVID-19 vaccination with a planned date scheduled for the second vaccination to take place by 1st April 2022 – therefore all offers will be made subject to candidates providing satisfactory evidence of their COVID-19 vaccination status (or relevant exemption). Details of what will amount to satisfactory evidence can be provided upon request”