Support Worker - Midpoint
At Turning Point, we support people across the UK with mental health needs. As a Support Worker with a sector leader within mental health, you’ll make a real difference to their lives as you develop the personal, flexible and recovery-focused support plans they need to help turn things around. Passionate about people, you’ll support them to take control, improve their quality of life and face the future with confidence.
Midpoint provides residential rehabilitation for 10 people with severe and enduring mental health problems.
Midpoint caters for people aged from 18 and over who have been diagnosed with severe and enduring mental illness and are on the enhanced level of the Care Programme Approach. Clients who have co-existing issues such as substance misuse or mild learning disabilities are not excluded from the service but will undergo a full assessment to determine whether we are able to provide appropriate support. Midpoint is a purpose-built accommodation, providing individual rooms with en-suite bathrooms, dining and lounge areas and communal kitchens for clients to prepare their own meals.
The project also provides 1 step down bed for people who are leaving the inpatient ward but who need a period of support before returning to independent living and 1 crisis bed when there are vacancies within the step down service. The Crisis Bed is available for an individual who is experiencing a crisis and would benefit from an individually tailored period of support in a safe and supportive setting away from their current situation.
You need to be flexible to work various shift patterns including late shifts, nights and weekends.
The service accepts referrals for individuals with complex needs where there is a severe and enduring mental health difficulty. Many of the people who come to Midpoint have a dual diagnosis (co-existing mental health and substance use/ misuse issues). As such, many of the clients have complex needs and need support in a wide range of areas in their life.
You will be preparing residents to live as independently as possible in the community.
The Ideal Candidate
We’re ideally looking for a Support Worker with experience of working with people with long-term mental health issues and a good understanding of the issues they face and the recovery model. A team player with lots of energy, you’ll also need the strong communication skills, flexible approach and positive attitude needed to achieve targets in a challenging, changeable environment. With empathy, understanding and patience, we’ll not only expect you to like taking to people – but be passionate about helping them too.
As a leading health and social care provider with more than 300 locations across England, we take real pride in the services we offer.
Across the varied regions, sectors and settings we operate within, our organisation is held together by a shared vision – and our people are connected by the same values. These include belief in potential, confidence in communication, embracing positive change and always treating each other as individuals.
We run all of our services on a not-for-profit basis; instead, we invest every penny back into our services and people. We never stop believing in change for the better, and we work constantly to improve the lives of the people we support.
Our people bring our vision to life. So, if you are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to support others to fulfilling their potential, here at Turning Point, we don't just offer you a job – we offer you a career.
What benefits will I receive?
Of course, we know it's not about the money. But that doesn't mean we don't reward our people for their invaluable work with a benefits package that includes:
- Comprehensive Learning and Development opportunities - we are Investors in People Silver accredited
- 28 days holiday, increasing with each year of service until 30 days. Plus the option to purchase additional holidays
- Flexible benefit options including, bike to work schemes and season ticket loans
- Competitive Pension and Life Assurance scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme and access to online Health and Wellbeing support
- Flexible working patterns to support work/life balance
- Access to a wide range of discounts including Cinema, Groceries and Gym.
As part of the fight against COVID-19 here are some of the measures we have in place to keep our team members and the people we support safe:
- Enhanced Infection/Prevention Control Measures, including the use of PPE, social distancing and regular testing
- Following all government guidance applicable to our services as a minimum and ensuring our teams are trained effectively
- Strongly encouraging colleagues to receive a vaccination to keep themselves and those around them safe, enabling access through time off & covering transport costs
- Regular updates, FAQs, myth busting from Turning Point’s clinical team as well as wellbeing seminars which provide support on a variety of topics
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we are able to appoint to the vacancy before the advertised closing date.