Support Worker - Cheltenham
Everything we do is aimed at providing the very best quality and person-centred support in the right location at the right time, making a real difference for the people and communities we support.
Whether you have worked in healthcare, mental health, autism, learning difficulties or people with acquired brain injuries or maybe you have a background in retail and are looking for a career change, this could be the career for you. Turning Point recruits against values and not previous experience.
Everyone is different and so are the people we support. As a valued support worker, you'll be helping people we support to live in their own homes and to lead the life's they want ensuring they have choice and control over the planning and delivery of their support. We are looking for ambitious individuals of a caring nature to work for a company where we promote independence in a supportive environment.
Turning Point support individuals across the country and we are currently recruiting support workers for supported living locations across the Gloucester area.
We aim to deliver support around the needs and wishes of individuals, we require support staff to actively support individuals to access a variety of community based activities and hobbies including sports activities, cookery, arts & crafts, music and theatre to name just a few.
Where will I be working?
You will be working at one of our supported living services in Cheltenham – GL51 or GL52. We offer 24 hour support to people with PLMD (profound multiple learning disabilities) and Autism.
We endeavour to create positive family relationships offering a good circle of support. There is a strong focus on supporting individuals' lives in a person centred way which includes various activities, shopping, managing own budgets and cooking. We tailor our services to enable people to be as independent as possible.
This is a 24 hour service, therefore flexibility is essential. You will be working a range of shifts from 7:00 am to 2:00/3:00 pm and 2:00/3:00 pm to 9:00/10:00 pm, sleep ins or waking nights, some weekends.
Please note that working hours may vary.
What will I be doing?
This is a hands-on job in which no two days are the same. Your duties will include:
- promoting the independence of people we support
- supporting a full range of daily activities including cleaning and cooking, days out or going away on holiday
- arranging activities in the home and in the local community
- developing residents' life skills and personal interests
- helping residents stay safe and healthy
- assisting with personal care needs
- manual handling
- supporting people with medication
- ensuring record keeping is maintained to the required standard at all times and contributing to service monitoring requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
What skills and qualities do I need to have?
Whilst knowledge of learning disabilities and complex needs would be beneficial, it isn't essential. What is essential is that you are:
- passionate, caring and enthusiastic
- flexible, patient and non-judgemental
- a great team player with lots of energy
- able to demonstrate good communication skills
- able to complete the physical aspects of the role such as manual handling where needed
- transferable experience of helping people to manage anxiety
Having a driving licence is necessary.
Why Turning Point?
As a leading health and social care provider with more than 300 locations across England, we take real pride in the services we offer.
Across the varied regions, sectors and settings we operate within, our organisation is held together by a shared vision – and our people are connected by the same values. These include belief in potential, confidence in communication, embracing positive change and always treating each other as individuals.
We run all of our services on a not-for-profit basis; instead, we invest every penny back into our services and people. We never stop believing in change for the better, and we work constantly to improve the lives of the people we support.
Our people bring our vision to life. So, if you are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to support others to fulfilling their potential, here at Turning Point, we don't just offer you a job – we offer you a career.
What benefits will I receive?
Of course, we know it's not about the money. But that doesn't mean we don't reward our people for their invaluable work with a benefits package that includes:
- Comprehensive Learning and Development opportunities - we are Investors in People Silver accredited
- 28 days holiday, increasing with each year of service until 30 days. Plus the option to purchase additional holidays
- Flexible benefit options including, bike to work schemes and season ticket loans
- Competitive Pension and Life Assurance scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme and access to online Health and Wellbeing support
- Flexible working patterns to support work/life balance
- Access to a wide range of discounts including Cinema, Groceries and Gym.