Outreach & Engagement Worker - SDAS
Fixed Term Contract - Up to 18 Months
At Turning Point, we support people across England with substance misuse problems. As an Outreach and Engagement Worker, you'll make a real difference to individual's lives as you provide support and advice to help each and every one of our service users achieve their potential. Passionate about people, you'll enjoy the scope and support to enhance your own life too, as you make this role your own as part of a hard-working and friendly team.
As an Outreach and Engagement Worker you will be 100% committed to ensuring our services are accessible to those who need them most and working with the local community to ensure our service meets their needs.
Running services on a not-for-profit basis, we invest every penny back into our care - and our people. So, if you're ambitious and focused on helping people with substance misuse issues, progress an Outreach and Engagement Worker role with real value.
You will manage a small caseload of service users who are complex and hard to engage so you will need exceptional communication skills and the ability to persevere and work with resistance. You will carry out assessments on new service users outside of our fixed locations and a large amount of the role will be based in other community venues such as hospitals, GP surgeries, probation offices etc. We are passionate about taking our service to those who need it most so the Outreach and Engagement role is crucial to making this happen.
At a practical level, you'll need good IT and communication skills.
The Ideal Candidate
You'll need a good working knowledge of issues related to substance misuse, as well as a genuine passion for the field. Although previous relevant experience, on either a voluntary basis or as a paid employee is preferable, most important is that you're flexible, patient and able to view situations from service users perspectives. As you'd expect, good moral values will be key. Situations can sometimes be difficult and challenging, so you'll need to be non-judgemental, with a sensitive approach and a good understanding of how to meet needs related to substance misuse.
Why Turning Point?
As a leading health and social care provider with more than 300 locations across England, we take real pride in the services we offer.
Across the varied regions, sectors and settings we operate within, our organisation is held together by a shared vision – and our people are connected by the same values. These include belief in potential, confidence in communication, embracing positive change and always treating each other as individuals.
We run all of our services on a not-for-profit basis; instead, we invest every penny back into our services and people. We never stop believing in change for the better, and we work constantly to improve the lives of the people we support.
Our people bring our vision to life. So, if you are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to support others to fulfilling their potential, here at Turning Point, we don't just offer you a job – we offer you a career.
What Benefits Will I Receive?
Of course, we know it's not about the money. But that doesn't mean we don't reward our people for their invaluable work with a benefits package that includes:
- Comprehensive opportunities to learn and develop, with silver accreditation from Investors in People
- 28 days’ paid holiday a year, increasing with each year of service up to 30 days. Plus the option to purchase additional holidays
- Flexible benefit options including cycle to work schemes and season ticket loans
- Competitive pension and life assurance schemes
- Employee assistance programme and access to online health and wellbeing support
- Flexible working patterns to support work-life balance
- Access to a wide range of discounts, including cinema tickets, grocery and high-street shopping and gym memberships
As part of the fight against COVID-19 here are some of the measures we have in place to keep our team members and the people we support safe:
- Enhanced Infection/Prevention Control Measures, including the use of PPE, social distancing and regular testing
- Following all government guidance applicable to our services as a minimum and ensuring our teams are trained effectively
- Strongly encouraging colleagues to receive a vaccination to keep themselves and those around them safe, enabling access through time off & covering transport costs
- Regular updates, FAQs, myth busting from Turning Point’s clinical team as well as wellbeing seminars which provide support on a variety of topics
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we are able to appoint to the vacancy before the advertised closed date.