Mental Health Peer Support Worker - Crisis Sanctuary
At Turning Point, we support people across England with mental health issues. We make a real difference to their lives as we introduce them to the personal, flexible and realistic support they need to improve the quality of their lives in their communities. Passionate about people, you'll enjoy the scope and support to enhance your own life and career too, as you gain the experience, training and education you need to progress in your career with us.
The Crisis Sanctuaries offer drop in access to mental health support out of hours. You will be working closely with individuals who are experiencing a mental health crisis, psychological and emotional distress.
The service operates in Beeston in the evenings 5.30-11.30pm. Shifts are allocated on a rota basis to allow for alternative weekends off.
This is a part-time role - 14 hours per week.
The main purpose of the Peer Support Worker role is for an individual with lived experience of their own mental health issues, to assist individuals to address and de-escalate their immediate crisis experience in a safe and friendly setting. The Peer Worker inspires hope and the belief that recovery is possible.
Your role will be to support people to access the service, create flexible and realistic crisis safety plans and signpost individuals to further support should they need it.
The role will require you to offer support face to face and remotely by telephone or online.
The Ideal Candidate
You will work as part of a team within the Sanctuary environment.
You will need excellent interpersonal communication skills. You will be able to demonstrate an understanding and empathy, providing advice and emotional support to individuals.
You will have the ability to deal effectively and calmly with challenging situations.
You must have a lived experience of mental health.
What benefits will I receive?
We know reward looks different to each person and so whether its ways to make your money go further, a culture supporting recognition and celebration, or opportunities to boost your career – we want to support you in every way we can with our total reward package that includes:
- Comprehensive learning and development opportunities so we can invest in your future – we’re proud to have a silver accreditation from Investors in People. Choose from our range of courses to gain recognised qualifications
- 28 days’ paid holiday a year, increasing with each year of service up to 30 days. Plus the option to buy or sell additional holidays and spread the cost
- An exclusive discounts hub for TP colleagues, to help make your money go further – including high street shopping, pubs and restaurants, mobile phones, gym memberships, and much more. You’ll also have access to the Blue Light Card, for even more discounts and savings!
- Flexible working solutions to support your work-life balance
- Life Assurance of up to 3x annual salary and a competitive Pension Scheme to support your savings and security
- Access to our Rightsteps Therapy service – free, confidential telephone based counselling sessions, access to an online wellbeing platform, and a Financial Education hub to support your total wellbeing
- A 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme including a Digital GP, legal advice and more – all free to you and your immediate family
- Recognition awards to recognise colleagues’ inspirational work and dedication, as well as Long Service bonuses to celebrate your commitment to us
- Flexible benefit options including a Cycle to Work scheme and interest-free Season Ticket Loans
- A £300 bonus if you successfully refer a friend as a new colleague through our Refer a Friend scheme, as a thanks from us!
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we are able to appoint to the vacancy before the advertised closing date.