Health Care Assistant - Medway
At Turning Point, we support people across the UK with substance misuse issues. As a Health Care Assistant, you’ll make a real difference to their lives as you develop the personal, flexible and realistic support packages they need to help turn things around. Passionate about people, you’ll enjoy the scope and support to enhance your own life too, as you make the role your own as part of a friendly and multidisciplinary team.
Running health facilities and services on a not–for–profit basis, we invest every penny back into our care – and our people. So, if you’re ambitious and focused on substance misuse, progress a Health Care Assistant career with real value.
The Health Care Assistant will assist in the provision of a comprehensive, high-quality and efficient Substance Misuse Services.
The post holder will be involved in supporting staff in the delivery of both pharmacological and psychosocial interventions including assessment, implementation, care planning evaluation of patient care.
- To support and undertake substance misuse interventions and clinical procedures : eg participating in triage assessments and screenings, urine analysis, healthy living assessments, physical observations, ECG recording.
- Ensuring appropriate entries are made on patients computerised medical records
- Supporting stock usage and stock control management
- Monitoring fridge temperatures and fridge logs and taking action when appropriate
- Recording in Controlled Drugs (CDs) registers and taking appropriate action when required
- Maintaining equipment and dispensing areas and ensuring they are kept in a clean and orderly manner
- Support the provision of opiate and alcohol detoxifications, undertaking physical detox observations including BP and reporting any concerns to the Prison Nurse Manager
- Supporting nurse lead and GP clinics
- Participating in the safe and secure storage of medicines in accordance with all medicines legislation, Turning Point HMP Leicester SOPs and Turning Point policies
- Report critical incidents using DATIX
- Participate in late, weekend and statutory holiday rotas and extended hours as required
- Take and record basic physical observations associated with alcohol detoxification and wellbeing clinics
- To undertake venepuncture where necessary supported with the appropriate training
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent interpersonal skills at all levels to engage, build relationships and influence colleagues and service users.
- Demonstrable evidence of having worked effectively within a multi-professional team in a healthcare setting.
- Plain English skills – both verbal and written to bring clarity and purpose.
- Ability to tailor message to the audience and to convey clinical assessment information to wider staff.
- Ability to deliver against agreed objectives and targets.
- Ability to communicate effectively with community and prison colleagues using a variety of mediums.
- Displays commitment to improving quality of service to Service Users.
- Working knowledge of confidentiality
- Understanding of local and national safeguarding procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of legislation/ guidance relating to medicines usage.
- Recognise barriers to understanding, particularly within patient groups.
- Ability to utilise medical equipment to gather physical observations and convey these with some understanding to clinical staff. Ie blood pressures.
Why Turning Point?
As a leading health and social care provider with more than 300 locations across England, we take real pride in the services we offer.
Across the varied regions, sectors and settings we operate within, our organisation is held together by a shared vision – and our people are connected by the same values. These include belief in potential, confidence in communication, embracing positive change and always treating each other as individuals.
We run all of our services on a not-for-profit basis; instead, we invest every penny back into our services and people. We never stop believing in change for the better, and we work constantly to improve the lives of the people we support.
Our people bring our vision to life. So, if you are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to support others to fulfilling their potential, here at Turning Point, we don't just offer you a job – we offer you a career.
What Benefits Will I Receive?
Of course, we know it's not about the money. But that doesn't mean we don't reward our people for their invaluable work with a benefits package that includes:
- Comprehensive opportunities to learn and develop, with silver accreditation from Investors in People
- 28 days’ paid holiday a year, increasing with each year of service up to 30 days. Plus the option to purchase additional holidays
- Flexible benefit options including cycle to work schemes and season ticket loans
- Competitive pension and life assurance schemes
- Employee assistance programme and access to online health and wellbeing support
- Flexible working patterns to support work-life balance
- Access to a wide range of discounts, including cinema tickets, grocery and high-street shopping and gym memberships
We reserve the right to close this advert early if we are able to appoint to the vacancy before the advertised closed date.