Female Support Worker - Milton Keynes
Would you like to be part of a small and highly specialised service which is committed to supporting me with every aspect of my life?
Would you like to work with me and enable me to live as independently as possible in my local community?
Would you like to be well trained, well supported and well paid and know that you are making a positive difference every time you go to work?
I am looking for people to support me in my new home in the local community in Milton Keynes. I am a woman with Down Syndrome, associated learning disability and sensory impairment. I wear glasses and use hearing aids.
I also have a diagnosis of ME (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) so want people to work with me, who are understanding and supportive when I get anxious or at times of low energy.
When carefully planned, I enjoy going out shopping or to cafés. I love to have time where I can relax and reflect and usually do this by listening to the radio, completing my diary and doing arts and crafts. I enjoy time to myself and watching TV. My favourite programmes are Neighbours, gardening and cookery shows, I have even been to see the dancers from Strictly Come Dancing! I want people to work with me who care about me and are dedicated to supporting me.
These services operate 24 hours 7 days a week, which will be based around a rota. You will need to be flexible to working evening, weekends, sleep ins and waking nights. The shifts are usually 7.5 hours long.
Please note that working hours may vary from service to service.
What will I be doing?
- I use a walker inside and outside of the house and must have somebody who can help me when I require to be pushed in my wheelchair.
- I struggle to pick familiar faces in a crowd and find it difficult to recognise faces at distance and close up.
- I have processing delays in hearing and speech.
- I communicate verbally and through signing, but often speak very quietly. I don’t often speak to people I do not know.
- I must have a well-planned, structured routine. I use my day diary to help me with this and require both support and involvement in my activities to help keep my anxieties low.
The Ideal Candidate
What skills and qualities do I need to have?
Whilst knowledge of learning disabilities and complex needs would be beneficial, it isn't essential. What is essential is that you are:
- Mature minded and be able to forward plan.
- Patient and understanding and do things according to plan.
- Resilient, particularly in times where my ME flares up.
- Be relaxed and able to draw up a variety of approaches to my support.
- Be able to work strategically to reduce my anxieties and manage my levels of energy to improve my quality of life.
- Be able to stick to the rules that will keep me and you safe.
Why Turning Point?
As a leading health and social care provider with more than 300 locations across England, we take real pride in the services we offer.
Across the varied regions, sectors and settings we operate within, our organisation is held together by a shared vision – and our people are connected by the same values. These include belief in potential, confidence in communication, embracing positive change and always treating each other as individuals.
We run all of our services on a not-for-profit basis; instead, we invest every penny back into our services and people. We never stop believing in change for the better, and we work constantly to improve the lives of the people we support.
Our people bring our vision to life. So, if you are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to support others to fulfilling their potential, here at Turning Point, we don't just offer you a job – we offer you a career.
What benefits will I receive?
Of course, we know it's not about the money. But that doesn't mean we don't reward our people for their invaluable work with a benefits package that includes:
- Comprehensive Learning and Development opportunities - we are Investors in People Silver accredited
- 28 days holiday, increasing with each year of service until 30 days. Plus the option to purchase additional holidays
- Flexible benefit options including, bike to work schemes and season ticket loans
- Competitive Pension and Life Assurance scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme and access to online Health and Wellbeing support
- Flexible working patterns to support work/life balance
- Access to a wide range of discounts including Cinema, Groceries and Gym.