Support Worker - Merlin Avenue
Would you like to be part of a small and highly specialised service which is committed to supporting me in the community?
Would you like to involve me and support me to be part of my local community?
Would you like to be well trained, well supported, well paid and know that you are making a positive difference every time you go to work?
I am looking for people to support me in my new home in Nuneaton and in my local community. I am a woman in my 30’s with a diagnosis of Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA) which is a form of autism and a mild/moderate learning disability. I can present with some complex behaviours of concern.
It is important to me that I have a staff team that understands autism and PDA that are patient and understanding. I need consistent support and encouragement, but it is also important to let me progress at my own pace and for staff to be able to recognise when I need space.
Language is crucial, and it is important that staff do not use words use as “no” and “don’t” and my initial reaction to questions is likely to be “no”, so my staff team need to be creative in how they present choices to me.
I enjoy lots of activities in the community but currently I am only accessing them with support from my Mum. I would like to be able to develop a good relationship with my support team so I can feel safe in the community without my Mum.
About the role
- I need staff that are patient and understanding.
- Language is extremely important to people with PDA.
- The role will include supporting with personal care.
- The role will include supporting me in my own home and in the community
- You will be required to work alongside specialists in my multi-disciplinary tea.
This is a specialist supported living support service in Nuneaton, North Warwickshire and we have high expectations for our staff. You will receive all the necessary training prior to supporting the person and this will take place locally in Warwickshire.
The Ideal Candidate
You should be
- Experienced in supporting people with autism and PDA.
- Be resilient, patient and understanding. It may take a while to be able to develop a strong bond with me.
- Be consistent in your support approach.
- Be able to use language effectively to enable me to widen my opportunities.
You should have
- The right attitude!
- A good attendance record.
- The ability to work well as part of a team, and with other professionals involved in my support.
Why Turning Point?
As a leading health and social care provider with more than 300 locations across England, we take real pride in the services we offer.
Across the varied regions, sectors and settings we operate within, our organisation is held together by a shared vision – and our people are connected by the same values. These include belief in potential, confidence in communication, embracing positive change and always treating each other as individuals.
We run all of our services on a not-for-profit basis; instead, we invest every penny back into our services and people. We never stop believing in change for the better, and we work constantly to improve the lives of the people we support.
Our people bring our vision to life. So, if you are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to support others to fulfilling their potential, here at Turning Point, we don't just offer you a job – we offer you a career.
What benefits will I receive?
Of course, we know it's not about the money. But that doesn't mean we don't reward our people for their invaluable work with a benefits package that includes:
- Comprehensive Learning and Development opportunities - we are Investors in People Silver accredited
- 28 days holiday, increasing with each year of service until 30 days. Plus the option to purchase additional holidays
- Flexible benefit options including, bike to work schemes and season ticket loans
- Competitive Pension and Life Assurance scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme and access to online Health and Wellbeing support
- Flexible working patterns to support work/life balance
- Access to a wide range of discounts including Cinema, Groceries and Gym.