Bank Support Worker in Peterborough - Learning Disabilities
Do you have a caring nature? Are you looking to make a difference to people's lives? Do you want to work in an environment where no two days are the same? Are you flexible with your working hours? Can you see yourself providing care to adults who need your support?
If you have answered a big YES to these questions we would love to hear from you.
Drivers preferred however not essential.
At Turning Point, we support people with Learning Disabilities across England.
As a Support Worker, you will make a real difference to residents' lives as you improve their daily living skills. Passionate about people, you will enjoy the scope and support to enhance your own life and career too, as you gain the experience and training you need to progress with us.
Where will I be working?
We offer 24 hour supported living facilities in providing care for adults with Learning Disabilities. We support 18 individuals across Peterborough (PE1, PE2, PE4) and two people in a village just outside Peterborough in Whittlesey PE7.
People we support are all with Learning Disabilities, Autism, complex needs, health needs and physical disabilities. We also have those with dual diagnosis so they have a learning disability with a mental health diagnosis. Support is 24 hrs and you will be dedicated to one home as part of a team.
We endeavour to create positive family relationships offering a good circle of support. There is a strong focus on supporting individuals' lives in a person centred way which includes various activities, shopping, managing own budgets and cooking. We tailor our services to enable people to be as independent as possible.
This is a 24 hour service. You will be offered a range of shifts from 7:00/8:00 am to 2:00/3:00 pm and 2:00/3:00 pm to 9:00/10:00 pm, sleep ins or waking nights, some weekends.
Please note that working hours may vary from service to service.
What will I be doing?
This is a hands-on job in which no two days are the same. Your duties will include:
- promoting the independence of people we support
- supporting a full range of daily activities including cleaning and cooking, days out or going away on holiday
- arranging activities in the home and in the local community
- developing residents' life skills and personal interests
- helping residents stay safe and healthy
- assisting with personal care needs
- manual handling
- supporting people with medication
- ensuring record keeping is maintained to the required standard at all times and contributing to service monitoring requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
What skills and qualities do I need to have?
Whilst knowledge of learning disabilities and complex needs would be beneficial, it isn't essential. What is essential is that you are:
- passionate, caring and enthusiastic
- flexible, patient and non-judgemental
- a great team player with lots of energy
- able to demonstrate good communication skills
- able to complete the physical aspects of the role such as manual handling where needed
- transferable experience of helping people to manage anxiety
What benefits will I receive?
Of course, we know it's not about the money. But that doesn't mean we don't reward our people for their invaluable work.
We understand reward looks different to each person and so whether its ways to make your money go further, a culture supporting recognition and celebration, or opportunities to boost your career – we want to support you in every way we can with our Total Reward package that includes:
- Comprehensive opportunities to learn and develop, so we can invest in your future – we have a silver accreditation from Investors in People
- Access to Blue Light Card discounts as well as exclusive discounts to Turning Point employees, on mobile phones, gym memberships, shopping and much more
- Flexible working solutions so we can support your work-life balance
- 28 days’ paid holiday a year, increasing with each year of service up to 30 days. Plus the option to purchase additional holidays and spread the cost
- Access to free financial education, counselling, occupational health, and advice services – some of which your family can use too – to support your total wellbeing
- A mileage claim scheme
- Free life cover of up to 3x annual salary and a competitive Pension scheme to support your savings and security
- Recognition awards to recognise colleagues’ inspirational work and dedication
- Flexible benefit options including Cycle to Work schemes and interest-free Season Ticket Loans
As part of the fight against COVID-19 here are some of the measures we have in place to keep our team members and the people we support safe:
- Enhanced Infection/Prevention Control Measures, including the use of PPE, social distancing and regular testing
- Following all government guidance applicable to our services as a minimum and ensuring our teams are trained effectively
- Strongly encouraging colleagues to receive a vaccination to keep themselves and those around them safe, enabling access through time off & covering transport costs
- Regular updates, FAQs, myth busting from Turning Point’s clinical team as well as wellbeing seminars which provide support on a variety of topics