Bank Support Worker - Wood Street
Do you have genuine passion for supporting people with Autism and/or behaviour that challenges to help them work to achieving their potential in everyday life?
If you are motivated, enthusiastic, a creative thinker and problem solver with a real desire to support people to make positive choices, decisions, and take action we would really like to hear from YOU.
At Turning Point, we support people with Learning Disabilities across England.
As a Support Worker, you will make a real difference to people’s lives as you improve their daily living skills. Passionate about people, you will enjoy the scope and support to enhance your own life and career too, as you gain the experience and training you need to progress with us.
Where will I be working?
You will be working in one of our Supported Living facilities in Carlisle.
We endeavour to create positive family relationships offering a good circle of support. There is a strong focus on supporting individuals' lives in a person centred way which includes various activities, shopping, managing own budgets and cooking. We tailor our services to enable people to be as independent as possible.
What will I be doing?
This is a hands-on job in which no two days are the same. Your duties will include:
- supporting adults with learning disabilities, autism, communication difficulties and challenging behaviour
- supporting people with a person centred approach
- providing and assisting people we support with personal care
- supporting a full range of daily activities at home and accessing the community
- supporting people to be as independent as possible and have control over their lives
- investing time with people we support, understanding the most effective way to deliver positive support and improve person’s quality of life
- delivering outcome focused support to improve skills, develop person interests and increase person independence
- ensuring accurate recording keeping and documentation is maintain at required standards to enable effective reviewing of persons support to develop actions plan to help improve all aspects of a person’s life
This is a 24 hour service, therefore flexibility is essential. You will be working a range of shifts from 7:00am to 2:00/3:00pm and 2:00/3:00 pm to 9:00/10:00pm, sleep ins or waking nights, some weekends.
Please note that the shifts may vary.
Bank Positions also available.
Average potential earnings are £21,856 based on 37 hours.
*Potential average earnings are a culmination of colleagues working additional shifts and where applicable sleep ins**
** sleep ins are not required in all services
***not all colleagues will work overtime and therefore potential earnings will differ
The Ideal Candidate
What skills and qualities do I need to have?
You should have the right attitude and transferable experience of helping people to manage anxiety. Knowledge of learning disabilities and complex needs would be beneficial. What is essential is that you are:
- passionate, caring and enthusiastic
- flexible, patient and non-judgemental
- a great team player with lots of energy
- able to demonstrate good communication skills
- able to complete the physical aspects of the role such as manual handling where needed
Drivers are desirable but not essential.
Legislation recently introduced, which will come into force on 1 April 2022 means that for our services that conduct “Regulated Activity” as defined by the CQC, require us to ensure that any applicant is able to evidence at least one COVID-19 vaccination with a planned date scheduled for the second vaccination to take place by 1st April 2022 – therefore all offers will be made subject to candidates providing satisfactory evidence of their COVID-19 vaccination status (or relevant exemption). Details of what will amount to satisfactory evidence can be provided upon request.
What do our staff say?
“The prospect of working with people with learning disabilities and autism was a bit daunting as I had no prior knowledge or experience of this. However, I soon found that with a thorough induction programme, approachable on site management and a supportive staff team that I was able to feel confident and effective in my role of a support worker.
The people we support are totally unique individuals, meaning that no two days are ever the same. I find them truly inspiring and this makes me want to provide the best support I can.
Working for turning point has given me a job I am very proud of, of course no occupation is perfect and this one is as challenging as it is rewarding and best of all I get to be part of an amazing team who really make a difference.”
Support Worker, Wood Street
“I enjoy working for Turning Point, Every day is different and you can never anticipate what is going to happen that day. You get to work with incredible people. They make you realise that nothing is impossible and life is amazing. The staff team and management are truly supportive and one of a kind that enables you to do your job effectively.”
Support Worker, Wood Street
Training and Development
We offer training to all those who want to develop their skills and competencies not just in the care sector but in other areas too.
- Level 2 and 3 Lead Adult Care Worker
- Level 3 Operational Team Leader
- Level 5 Management and Leadership take away
Please note training will be offered after your probation period ends which is 6 months. Once you begin your training with us you will have your own coach who will support you through your programme.
What Benefits Will I Receive?
We know reward looks different to each person and so whether its ways to make your money go further, a culture supporting recognition and celebration, or opportunities to boost your career – we want to support you in every way we can with our total reward package that includes:
- Comprehensive learning and development opportunities so we can invest in your future – we’re proud to have a silver accreditation from Investors in People. Choose from our range of courses to gain recognised qualifications
- 28 days’ paid holiday a year, increasing with each year of service up to 30 days. Plus the option to buy or sell additional holidays and spread the cost
- An exclusive discounts hub for TP colleagues, to help make your money go further – including high street shopping, pubs and restaurants, mobile phones, gym memberships, and much more. You’ll also have access to the Blue Light Card, for even more discounts and savings!
- Flexible working solutions to support your work-life balance
- Life Assurance of up to 3x annual salary and a competitive Pension Scheme to support your savings and security
- Access to our Rightsteps Therapy service – free, confidential telephone based counselling sessions, access to an online wellbeing platform, and a Financial Education hub to support your total wellbeing
- A 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme including a Digital GP, legal advice and more – all free to you and your immediate family
- Recognition awards to recognise colleagues’ inspirational work and dedication, as well as Long Service bonuses to celebrate your commitment to us
- Flexible benefit options including a Cycle to Work scheme and interest-free Season Ticket Loans
- A £300 bonus if you successfully refer a friend as a new colleague through our Refer a Friend scheme, as a thanks from us!