Bank Support Worker - Wood Street
Do you have genuine passion for supporting people with Autism and/or behaviour that challenges to help them work to achieving their potential in everyday life?
If you are motivated, enthusiastic, a creative thinker and problem solver with a real desire to support people to make positive choices, decisions, and take action we would really like to hear from YOU.
At Turning Point, we support people with Learning Disabilities across England.
As a Support Worker, you will make a real difference to people’s lives as you improve their daily living skills. Passionate about people, you will enjoy the scope and support to enhance your own life and career too, as you gain the experience and training you need to progress with us.
Where will I be working?
You will be working in one of our Supported Living facilities in Carlisle.
We endeavour to create positive family relationships offering a good circle of support. There is a strong focus on supporting individuals' lives in a person centred way which includes various activities, shopping, managing own budgets and cooking. We tailor our services to enable people to be as independent as possible.
What will I be doing?
This is a hands-on job in which no two days are the same. Your duties will include:
- supporting adults with learning disabilities, autism, communication difficulties and challenging behaviour
- supporting people with a person centred approach
- providing and assisting people we support with personal care
- supporting a full range of daily activities at home and accessing the community
- supporting people to be as independent as possible and have control over their lives
- investing time with people we support, understanding the most effective way to deliver positive support and improve person’s quality of life
- delivering outcome focused support to improve skills, develop person interests and increase person independence
- ensuring accurate recording keeping and documentation is maintain at required standards to enable effective reviewing of persons support to develop actions plan to help improve all aspects of a person’s life
The Ideal Candidate
What skills and qualities do I need to have?
You should have the right attitude and transferable experience of helping people to manage anxiety. Knowledge of learning disabilities and complex needs would be beneficial. What is essential is that you are:
- passionate, caring and enthusiastic
- flexible, patient and non-judgemental
- a great team player with lots of energy
- able to demonstrate good communication skills
- able to complete the physical aspects of the role such as manual handling where needed
Drivers are desirable but not essential.
What do our staff say?
“The prospect of working with people with learning disabilities and autism was a bit daunting as I had no prior knowledge or experience of this. However, I soon found that with a thorough induction programme, approachable on site management and a supportive staff team that I was able to feel confident and effective in my role of a support worker.
The people we support are totally unique individuals, meaning that no two days are ever the same. I find them truly inspiring and this makes me want to provide the best support I can.
Working for turning point has given me a job I am very proud of, of course no occupation is perfect and this one is as challenging as it is rewarding and best of all I get to be part of an amazing team who really make a difference.”
Support Worker, Wood Street
“I enjoy working for Turning Point, Every day is different and you can never anticipate what is going to happen that day. You get to work with incredible people. They make you realise that nothing is impossible and life is amazing. The staff team and management are truly supportive and one of a kind that enables you to do your job effectively.”
Support Worker, Wood Street
Why Turning Point?
As a leading health and social care provider with more than 300 locations across England, we take real pride in the services we offer.
Across the varied regions, sectors and settings we operate within, our organisation is held together by a shared vision – and our people are connected by the same values. These include belief in potential, confidence in communication, embracing positive change and always treating each other as individuals.
We run all of our services on a not-for-profit basis; instead, we invest every penny back into our services and people. We never stop believing in change for the better, and we work constantly to improve the lives of the people we support.
Our people bring our vision to life. So, if you are enthusiastic, motivated and committed to support others to fulfilling their potential, here at Turning Point, we don't just offer you a job – we offer you a career.
Training and Development
We offer training to all those who want to develop their skills and competencies not just in the care sector but in other areas too.
- Level 2 and 3 Lead Adult Care Worker
- Level 3 Operational Team Leader
- Level 5 Management and Leadership take away
Please note training will be offered after your probation period ends which is 6 months. Once you begin your training with us you will have your own coach who will support you through your programme.
What Benefits Will I Receive?
Of course, we know it's not about the money. But that doesn't mean we don't reward our people for their invaluable work.
We understand reward looks different to each person and so whether its ways to make your money go further, a culture supporting recognition and celebration, or opportunities to boost your career – we want to support you in every way we can with our Total Reward package that includes:
- Comprehensive opportunities to learn and develop, so we can invest in your future – we have a silver accreditation from Investors in People
- Access to Blue Light Card discounts as well as exclusive discounts to Turning Point employees, on mobile phones, gym memberships, shopping and much more
- Flexible working solutions so we can support your work-life balance
- 28 days’ paid holiday a year, increasing with each year of service up to 30 days. Plus the option to purchase additional holidays and spread the cost
- Access to free financial education, counselling, occupational health, and advice services – some of which your family can use too – to support your total wellbeing
- Free life cover of up to 3x annual salary and a competitive Pension scheme to support your savings and security
- Recognition awards to recognise colleagues’ inspirational work and dedication
- Flexible benefit options including Cycle to Work schemes and interest-free Season Ticket Loans
As part of the fight against COVID-19 here are some of the measures we have in place to keep our team members and the people we support safe:
- Enhanced Infection/Prevention Control Measures, including the use of PPE, social distancing and regular testing
- Following all government guidance applicable to our services as a minimum and ensuring our teams are trained effectively
- Strongly encouraging colleagues to receive a vaccination to keep themselves and those around them safe, enabling access through time off & covering transport costs
- Regular updates, FAQs, myth busting from Turning Point’s clinical team as well as wellbeing seminars which provide support on a variety of topics